Southern Sweet Potato Casserole is a cherished Southern dish that embodies the heartwarming essence of traditional comfort food. With its velvety sweet potato filling and crunchy pecan topping, it’s a delightful addition to any festive occasion, bringing the spirit of the South to your table.
Southern Sweet Potato Casserole
“Southern Sweet Potato Casserole is a cherished Southern dish that embodies the heartwarming essence of traditional comfort food.”
- 3 cups sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- Begin by boiling the potatoes until they’re tender enough to be mashed.
- Drain the boiled potatoes and mash them.
- Mix in the sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, and milk until you have a smooth and creamy potato mixture.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes into a 13×9 inch baking dish, spreading it evenly.
For the Topping:
- In a separate bowl, melt the butter.
- Mix in the remaining topping ingredients until well combined.
- Sprinkle this topping mixture over the mashed potato layer in the baking dish.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the casserole for about 25 minutes or until it’s heated through and the topping is golden brown.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving.