I absolutely love sweet potato casserole! For a larger casserole, here’s what I did, and it turned out amazing. First, I baked and cooled fresh sweet potatoes. Then, I doubled the amounts of mashed potatoes and sugar, leaving the butter and vanilla the same. I used one jumbo egg and omitted the milk to make a firmer casserole. I baked it for about 30-35 minutes before adding the topping, then baked it for another 15 minutes or so. In my opinion, it’s best to let it rest for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Here’s another tip: any leftover topping freezes well for the next time.
I tried this today for our Thanksgiving dinner, and it was a huge hit! The kids couldn’t stop raving about it, and even my husband, who isn’t usually a fan of sweet dishes, asked me to make this again for Christmas dinner. Although it almost tasted like a dessert, it paired really well with the turkey. I halved the recipe, used heavy cream instead of milk, and assembled it the night before. I refrigerated it and took it out about 20 minutes before putting it into the oven. After about 30 minutes of cooking, it was perfect! Thanks to Kaykwilts for introducing us to this fantastic new favorite!
The Story of Southern Sweet Potato Casserole:
Southern Sweet Potato Casserole is a classic Southern comfort dish that has been gracing holiday tables and family gatherings for generations. This heartwarming casserole perfectly balances the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes with a hint of warm spices and a luscious pecan topping. It’s a beloved tradition that brings a taste of the South to your home.
Why You Should Make Southern Sweet Potato Casserole:
Here are some compelling reasons to make this traditional Southern Sweet Potato Casserole:
- Southern Comfort: Experience the comforting flavors of the South with each mouthwatering bite of this casserole.
- Perfect Balance: The sweet potatoes, spices, and pecan topping create a harmonious blend of flavors and textures that are sure to delight your taste buds.
- Time-Honored Tradition: This dish has a special place in Southern culinary culture, and sharing it with your loved ones can be a meaningful tradition.
How to Make Southern Sweet Potato Casserole:
Making Southern Sweet Potato Casserole is a heartwarming and straightforward process. Here’s a simple guide to help you create this beloved casserole:
- Prepare the Sweet Potatoes: Start by cooking and mashing the sweet potatoes until they are smooth and free from lumps.
- Season and Mix: Add spices, sugar, butter, and other flavorings to the mashed sweet potatoes. Mix well to create a flavorful filling.
- Create the Pecan Topping: Combine pecans, brown sugar, flour, and butter to make a crunchy, sweet topping for the casserole.
- Assemble and Bake: Layer the sweet potato filling in a baking dish and top it with the pecan mixture. Bake until the casserole is heated through and the topping is golden and crispy.
- Serve and Enjoy: Allow the casserole to cool slightly before serving. It’s the perfect side dish for holiday feasts and family gatherings.
What Goes Well With Southern Sweet Potato Casserole:
Pair your Southern Sweet Potato Casserole with these delicious accompaniments for a well-rounded meal:
- Roast Turkey: A classic combination, the casserole pairs wonderfully with roast turkey for a Thanksgiving feast.
- Cranberry Sauce: The sweet and tangy flavors of cranberry sauce complement the sweetness of the casserole.
- Green Beans: Serve a side of green beans for a dose of freshness and color on your plate.
How to Store Southern Sweet Potato Casserole:
Keep your Southern Sweet Potato Casserole fresh with these storage tips:
- Refrigeration: Store any leftover casserole in the refrigerator, covered with aluminum foil. Reheat in the oven for a warm and comforting meal.
Southern Sweet Potato Casserole is a cherished Southern dish that embodies the heartwarming essence of traditional comfort food. With its velvety sweet potato filling and crunchy pecan topping, it’s a delightful addition to any festive occasion, bringing the spirit of the South to your table.
For Ingredients And Complete Cooking Instructions Please Head On Over To Next Page Or Open button (>) and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends