Back to Top
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (200g) packed light or dark brown sugar (I prefer dark)
- 5 – 6 Tablespoons heavy cream, divided*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 and 1/2 cups (240-300g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- optional garnish: salted caramel sauce
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add brown sugar and 2 Tablespoons of heavy cream. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved. Add salt. Allow to bubble for about 2 minutes, whisking every 30 seconds or so. Remove from heat, pour into a heat-proof mixing bowl, and allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
- With a hand or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat in 2 cups confectioners’ sugar and 3 more Tablespoons of heavy cream. Slowly add 1/2 cup more confectioners’ sugar until you reach the desired consistency. Add 1 more Tablespoon heavy cream if you find the frosting too thick.
- Frost cake or cupcakes and garnish with salted caramel sauce, if desired.