The Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner is a convenient and satisfying meal that brings all the flavors of a traditional Sunday dinner to your weeknight table.
Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner
“Discover the convenience and deliciousness of the Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner, a hearty and satisfying meal that practically prepares itself. “
- 3 lb. whole chicken, thawed
- 3 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 ribs celery, chopped
- 24 oz baby potatoes, halved
- fresh herbs, (rosemary & thyme)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
Step 1: Prepare the Chicken
- Begin by patting the chicken dry using plenty of paper towels. Remove any giblets from inside the cavity of the bird and pat the inside dry with paper towels.
Step 2: Create the Seasoning Paste
- In a small bowl, combine the Italian seasoning, salt, paprika, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Stir in the olive oil to create a seasoning paste.
Step 3: Season the Chicken
- Rub the prepared seasoning paste all over the chicken, including the inside of the cavity. Set the seasoned chicken aside.
Step 4: Prepare the Slow Cooker
- Place all the vegetables and potatoes inside the bottom of the slow cooker, creating a nest to rest the chicken on.
- Lay the fresh herbs on top of the vegetables.
- Position the whole chicken, breast-side up, on top of the vegetables.
- Cover the slow cooker tightly with its lid.
Step 5: Cook the Chicken
- Cook the chicken on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit in the breast.
Optional – Crispy Skin
- If you desire crispy chicken skin, carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place it on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the chicken and place it about 10 inches under the top broiler of your oven.
- Cook until the skin turns golden brown, which usually takes about 3 to 5 minutes.
To Make Gravy
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the vegetables, potatoes, and herbs from the slow cooker. Set them aside on a platter.
- Strain the liquid remaining in the slow cooker through a fine mesh strainer into a fat separator.
- Heat a small pot with 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until it’s melted.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in 1 ¼ cup of de-fatted chicken drippings until the gravy is smooth.
- Season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste.