Back to Top
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- Place water in a small sauce pan.
- Add Sugar but, do not stir.
- Place saucepan over medium-high heat, bring to 238º.
- While sugar is cooking, separate the egg whites from the yolks. Save yolks for use later.
- Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the Cream of Tartar.
- Add the pinch of Salt.
- Use a blender, on high speed and beat egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- When sugar syrup reaches 238º, slowly add, in a small stream, to the egg whites.
- Continue to beat the egg whites on high speed while adding all the sugar syrup over about a 5 minute period of time. Careful, the sugar syrup is very hot.
- Add the Vanilla Extract and beat another minute or so to incorporate the vanilla. Continue to beat only as long as needed to form firm peaks.
- Work quickly to spread over cake as the egg whites may continue to firm up and set.