- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (Mexican oregano is wonderful if you have it)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- pinch cayenne pepper
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion – , diced
- 1 – 2 (15 oz each) cans pinto beans – , drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can dark red kidney beans – , drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can whole kernel corn – , drained
- 15 oz can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 – 2 (4 oz each) cans diced green chiles – , drained
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives – , drained
- 1 Tbsp better than bouillon beef base – (optional but encouraged)
- 3 – 4 cups beef broth
- crispy tortilla strips or chips
- minced cilantro
- sour cream
- diced avocado
- sliced jalapenos
- sliced green onions
- shredded cheese
In a large skillet, add olive oil and onion, and cook 4-5 minutes over MED heat, until soft and slightly charred on the edges. Remove to slow cooker.
In the same skillet, add beef and turkey, and cook 5 minutes over MED heat, breaking meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain and transfer to slow cooker.
Stir in seasoning mixture and all remaining soup ingredients (pinto beans, kidney beans, corn, stewed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, green chiles and olives, and beef base). Pour in beef broth and stir well to combine.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours, or HIGH for 2-3 hours.
Garnish and serve!