- 1 angel food cake
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- Combine in medium saucepan 1/2 cup of sugar, cornstarch, Jello, lemon juice, and water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Stir in sliced strawberries.
- Tear angel food cake into 1 inch pieces and toss with 2 cups of the Cool Whip.
- Press into 9×13 inch pan (I use glass so you can see the pretty layers).
- Set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup remaining sugar, and vanilla in mixer bowl.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in remaining Cool Whip.
- Spread evenly over cake layer.
- Pour cooled strawberry mixture over cream cheese layer, spreading to cover cake evenly.
- Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours before serving.
Note: You may substitute a 16 ounce bag of frozen whole strawberries, thawed and chopped, for the fresh strawberries.