This recipe is a nostalgic favorite my mom used to make. You can also prepare it with 3/4 pound of browned, drained hamburger. We affectionately called it “SOS,” which stands for “Same Ole Stuff.” It’s fantastic comfort food! Both versions of the recipe are simple to prepare and taste delicious. Serve it over toast for a comforting meal.
The Story of Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast:
Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast, often lovingly referred to as “S.O.S” (which stands for “Sh** on a Shingle”), is a comforting classic that has its roots in military and American home cooking. This dish combines slices of dried and smoked beef in a creamy white sauce, typically served over toasted bread. Despite its humble origins, it’s a beloved and nostalgic meal that continues to find a place on many home dinner tables.
Why You Should Make Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast:
Here are a few reasons to consider making Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast:
- Comfort Food Classic: This dish is the epitome of comfort food. It’s simple, hearty, and evokes a sense of nostalgia for many who enjoyed it during their childhood.
- Quick and Easy: Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast is a no-fuss meal that can be prepared in a short amount of time, making it perfect for busy weeknights.
- Budget-Friendly: It’s an economical choice that doesn’t require many ingredients, making it an ideal option for those looking to stretch their food budget.
How to Make Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast:
Preparing Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast is a straightforward process. Here’s a simple guide to help you create this comforting classic:
- Prepare the Beef: Begin by slicing dried and smoked beef into thin strips or chipped pieces.
- Make the Cream Sauce: In a saucepan, create a creamy white sauce by combining butter, flour, milk, and seasonings. This sauce will serve as the base for your dish.
- Add the Beef: Once the sauce is ready, add the chipped beef to the pan and simmer until the beef is heated through and the flavors meld together.
- Toast the Bread: While the beef and sauce are simmering, toast slices of bread to your preferred level of crispiness.
- Serve and Enjoy: To serve, ladle the creamy beef mixture over the toasted bread. Garnish with a sprinkle of black pepper and parsley, if desired.
What Goes Well With Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast:
To complete your Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast meal, consider these tasty accompaniments:
- Fried Eggs: Serving a sunny-side-up or over-easy fried egg on top of the creamed beef adds extra richness and flavor to the dish.
- Sauteed Spinach: A side of sautéed spinach or greens provides a fresh and nutritious balance to the creamy main course.
- Fruit Salad: A light and refreshing fruit salad can be a delightful contrast to the hearty flavors of Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast.
How to Store Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast:
To preserve any leftover Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast, consider these storage suggestions:
- Refrigeration: Store any unused portions in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It can be reheated in a saucepan or microwave when you’re ready to enjoy it again.
- Freezing: You can freeze creamed beef (without the toast) for longer storage. Thaw it in the refrigerator and reheat when needed.
Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast is a timeless and comforting dish that has stood the test of time. It’s perfect for a quick, satisfying meal that’s sure to warm your heart and satisfy your taste buds.
For Ingredients And Complete Cooking Instructions Please Head On Over To Next Page Or Open button (>) and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends