- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 11 cups vegetable stock (see recipe for Vegetable Stock #54127)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushroom
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, combine the barley and 3 cups of vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms.
- Cover and cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add the remaining vegetable stock and simmer 30 minutes, covered.
- Add the barley and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Add salt to taste and ladle into bowls.
- Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
Source : Food.com