- 1 3/4 lbs. boneless, chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 48 oz. light & fat free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/3 cup sliced carrots
- 1 1/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1 shallot, finely diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup milk (1% is fine)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen petite peas
- 15. oz. box Pillsbury Ready to Roll Pie Crust
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Rinse the chicken under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken on both sides. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 8 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside to cool. Pour the broth into a large bowl and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in the empty Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, and shallot. Stir occasionally and cook until lightly browned. Add the flour to the vegetables and whisk for 1 minute. Add the broth and milk and whisk until it thickens, about 5 minutes or so. Set the sauce aside to cool.
3. Using a fork, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add the chicken to the sauce, season with salt and pepper, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled.